Saturday, July 11, 2009

All Clear!

We finally got the results of the CAT Scan on Thursday from our ENT.  Everything looks normal in David's inner ear which is great news.  The audiologist at NYU had some concern because David's right ear had no response to sound, so now we're relieved that everything structurally is okay.  We also had our first appointment at NYU on Wednesday.  We got to meet some very nice people in the waiting room who just couldn't say enough wonderful things about cochlear implants.  One boy was 21 years old, got the implant when he was about 3 and just finished playing 4 years of college baseball and graduating from college.  Baseball!!  Nevermind college, Steve and I were so excited that he played baseball - our dreams of making David a MLB relief pitcher are still alive!!  We know that David will be able to do anything he sets his mind to, and we'll give him all the opportunities that a hearing child would have, but it's always nice to hear stories like that just to reaffirm your goals.

David did great on his hearing test, despite having a very bad cold.  I guess by "great" I mean that he is hearing bad enough so that it looks like he's a candidate for the implant.  There are still a number of appointments ahead of us for more hearing and communication tests, but these are more of a formality.  

Our audiologist was very nice and knowledgeable, and sent us home with marketing materials from the three manufacturers of cochlear implants.  I don't know how we're going to choose between the three, because success rates seem to be the same for all of them.  Cochlear is releasing a new implant and processor within the next two months (assuming they get FDA approval - cross your fingers!) which may make the decision much easier for us since the implant and processor will both be thinner and lighter.  

On a personal note, I was just told by my boss that I have to go back to work full time or leave the company.  Thank you for making me choose between taking my child to the half-dozen therapy sessions we have each week which concentrate on parent-training so that I can teach my child how to listen and speak, and keeping my health insurance for his surgery.  Thank you very much, I really appreciate your compassion.  I know the answer is that I stay so that David can have the surgery.  But I am writing a whole speech in my head so that when I can leave, I give him a real piece of my mind.  

By the way, David starting eating veggies this week!  Sweet potatoes yummy yummy....

1 comment:

  1. Looks like everything is going great with David! Hopefully that insurance will come through and he'll be hearing in no time. Keep us updated about his adventures with the dishwasher.

    ReplyDelete